What are Probiotics and why should I be taking them?
Probiotics, which means ‘for life’, are good bacteria that is or should be present in your intestines. These good bacteria help us with many things like improving digestion and boosting the immune system. Probiotics also help your body in times of high stress.
How do I choose which one is best for me?
Choosing the ‘best fit’ for a Probiotic can be a challenging task since there are many different brands of probiotics and they are all not created equal. From my experience, the products that you see in commercials and find in the ‘big box’ stores, are not the best out there. But, there is no need to worry. I have created 5 simple steps that my clients as well as myself use to determine whether a certain probiotic is the choice to make.
What you should look for when buying a Probiotic?
1. The Probiotic should be in capsule form, thus giving your gut the ability to break down and absorb the beneficial probiotic, hard tablets don’t allow for enough absorption.
2. They should be refrigerated or from a source that has been researched to be room temperature safe.
3. They contain at least 5 billion CFU (colony-forming units) per capsule.
4. Don’t strain yourself with this one, but they should have at least 8-15 different strains including Lactobacillus acidophilus *each strain does something different in the body.
5. Containing a prebiotic fiber is essential, such as an oligosaccharide *this feeds the bacteria to keep them alive and healthy longer.
When should I take probiotics?
Probiotics are best taken after you have used antibiotics, done a body cleanse, have chronic yeast problems, or have bowel issues such as diarrhea or constipation.
Probiotics should also be taken when you leave the country or eat a variety of foods that your body is not used to.
Is there a time that is best to take them?
It is best to take probiotics without food. When you eat, especially high protein meals, your body releases more digestive enzymes such as, HCl (hydrochloric acid), which is great to break down the protein, but it will kill a considerable amount of the probiotic. It is best to take them in between meals or with a light snack of fruit and vegetables. You paid your hard earned money to feel better, so let’s make sure that it isn’t being wasted!
I’ve taken the guessing out of deciding which could be the best fit for you, by doing all of the research myself! I have found that the “Ultimate Probiotic 12/12” by Natural Factors meets all of the criteria essential for a great probiotic. It is the one I am currently taking and it is a Fuel Your Body approved probiotic. So if you don’t want to have to do all of the research that can honestly take quite a bit of time, Click on this link to order it from my website and start feeling better now.
If you are taking one now and are not sure if it’s good, please contact me to fuel your body with only the best.
In health and happiness,