Happy Halloween Everyone!
Halloween is the first of the holiday (eating bad) season, where we all make excuses to eat whatever we want cause we will just work it off after the holidays right? So for comparison, I wanted to look at some typical Halloween candy to give you and myself some perspective.
I cannot bring myself to eat a full-sized candy bar. However, I have no problem popping a few fun-sized versions in my mouth throughout the day. I did the math and figured out how many fun-sized bars it takes to make one full candy bar. Maybe with this knowledge, I won’t steal as much candy from the trick or treat bucket.
- Butterfinger – 2 ½ fun sized bars = 1 regular bar (275 calories)
- Mounds – 2 fun sized bars = 1 regular bar (258 calories)
- Reese’s PB Cups – 2 ½ miniature sized cups = 1 full sized cup (87 calories)
- M& M’s – 3 fun sized bags = 1 regular bag (142 calories)
- Twix – 4.5 fun sized bars = 1 regular bar (2 sticks) (281 calories)
- Snickers – 3 ½ fun sized bars = 1 regular bar (215 calories)
- Kit Kat 2 mini’s = 1 regular-sized bar (4 wafers) (218 calories)
Here is also a great link to some other Halloween candy calories:
I don’t want to be a buzz kill but I just want to shed some light on the situation so you can be mindful of just how many calories you can get away with during this fun holiday season.
There is a list of activities that can burn calories that you can do that will help bring it into perspective a little. For a person that weighs 155 pounds:
- Running a half-hour at 5 mph burns 280 calories
- Body Building, weight lifting for half-hour burns 211 calories
- Bowling for a half hour 105 calories
- Boxing with a punching bag for half-hour burns 211 calories
- Kick Boxing for a half an hour burns 350 calories
- Shoveling Snow by hand for a half-hour burns 211 calories
I don’t know if you have ever done any of these activities but half an hour of any of these exercises is no walk in the park.
Here is a list of a bunch more activities too: http://www.nutristrategy.com/caloriesburned.htm
Just looking at this list makes me think twice about putting my hand in the candy jar and I hope it does the same for you.
Until next time,
Stay Happy and Healthy!